Making dressing in the slow cooker is a great idea. I have seen slow cooker dressing recipes over the years in various places and finally decided to try it with my recipe when my husband recently smoked a turkey, and it turned out great. One of the big issues on Thanksgiving day is trying to get everything hot at the same time, but by putting the turkey on the smoker and the dressing in the oven, you free up the oven for other things like casseroles and pies.
I usually make this dressing using chicken broth and prefer it that way, but the dressing in the photo was made with vegetable broth so that my vegetarian son could eat it. The gravy was even made with vegetable broth. Of course, it is pictured with turkey, but my son didn’t have turkey on his plate.
When reading the recipe, the recipe for cornbread is listed first. It is my usual cornbread recipe that can also be found here.
Slow Cooker Dressing
- 2½ cups cornmeal (I use white if I can find it.)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsps. salt
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsps. butter or oil for greasing the pan (I prefer butter.)
- 6 Tbsps. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups soft white bread crumbs, crusts removed
- 3 eggs
- 48 oz. chicken broth
- 4 tsps. rubbed sage
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees and place your iron skillet inside for about ten to get hot while you make the batter.
- Whisk together cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients (except the butter or oil for greasing the pan) and stir until well combined.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and reduce the oven’s temperature to 450 degrees. Put the butter or oil in the pan and swirl it around to to cover the bottom being careful not to burn yourself. The iron skillet is very hot!
- Pour the batter into the skillet and return to the oven.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cornbread from the pan and allow to cool enough to crumble with your hands.
- While cornbread is cooling, saute onion and celery in butter over medium heat until tender.
- When cool crumble cornbread completely.
- Lightly beat eggs.
- Stir onion/celery mixture, bread crumbs, eggs, broth, and sage into cornbread crumbs mixing until well combined.
- Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or on low for 4 to 5 hours or until dressing is set and liquid has cooked away.