Slow Cooker Dressing
- 2½ cups cornmeal (I use white if I can find it.)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsps. salt
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsps. butter or oil for greasing the pan (I prefer butter.)
- 6 Tbsps. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups soft white bread crumbs, crusts removed
- 3 eggs
- 48 oz. chicken broth
- 4 tsps. rubbed sage
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees and place your iron skillet inside for about ten to get hot while you make the batter.
- Whisk together cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients (except the butter or oil for greasing the pan) and stir until well combined.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and reduce the oven’s temperature to 450 degrees. Put the butter or oil in the pan and swirl it around to to cover the bottom being careful not to burn yourself. The iron skillet is very hot!
- Pour the batter into the skillet and return to the oven.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cornbread from the pan and allow to cool enough to crumble with your hands.
- While cornbread is cooling, saute onion and celery in butter over medium heat until tender.
- When cool crumble cornbread completely.
- Lightly beat eggs.
- Stir onion/celery mixture, bread crumbs, eggs, broth, and sage into cornbread crumbs mixing until well combined.
- Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or on low for 4 to 5 hours or until dressing is set and liquid has cooked away.
Recipe by From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫ at https://www.fromcalculustocupcakes.com/slow-cooker-dressing/