It’s time for Chili!
Good Monday to you. I had a craving for chili this weekend and with the grand kids coming I thought this would be the perfect meal to fix because of how we are on the go while they are here.
This is a slow cooker meal so it’s kind of a put it together and let it go to enjoy the results later. I wanted this one to be different though, with all the smoker/grilling I have been doing this summer it had me thinking about making a shredded beef chili. Normally I use either ground beef or chunks of stew meat in my chili, I thought that shredding the meat would create a nice texture and allow the flavors to meld better.
So we started this the night before the boys came to give us a free morning to give the fellas the attention they need. It also allowed the meat to get to that fall apart stage before I added the beans…yes for me it has to have beans! We cooked it for 8 hours on low, shredded the beef then added the kidney beans ad let it cook another 4 hours. It was great!
So….let’s go through the ingredients and the method and get some good cool weather food on your table.
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Chili for Man Food Mondays
- 3 lbs beef shoulder roast
- 1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 4 oz. can of tomato paste
- 3/4 bottle of DARK beer
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper seeds, removed and chopped
- 3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped in large pieces
- 2 15 oz cans of kidney beans
- 1.5 Tbsps. chili powder
- 3 Tbsps. vegetable oil
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. coriander
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the garnish:
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Cut the beef shoulder roast into large chunks, salt and pepper then brown on all sides in vegetable oil. Do not crowd your pan, you may need to cook in batches.
- Turn the slow cooker on and set to low for 8 hours (if yours can be programmed). Transfer the browned beef into your slow cooker as you finish browning it.
- Pour the 28 oz can of whole tomatoes in a bowl to crush them using a potato masher. Add to the slow cooker with your browned beef.
- Add the remaining cans of tomatoes and paste stir to blend.
- Saute the diced onions and red bell pepper, in the same pan as the beef was browned till the onions are translucent and the bell pepper is soft, you may need to add a bit of oil.
- Add the jalapeno pepper, chiplotle peppers, and garlic to the pan and heat through.
- Add in the Chili powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, paprika, dried oregano and cinnamon and allow to heat through so that the flavors can start to blend about 1 minute stirring constantly then add to the slow cooker.
- Use ¼ of the beer to deglaze the pan and pour that into the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ½ beer to the slow cooker....what you do with the remaining ¼ beer is up to you :).
- Make sure that the meat is covered with liquid, add water (or the last of that beer if you haven't made other use of it). Stir the mixture to blend. Cover and check it at 8 hours.
- At the 8 hour mark skim and foam or fat floating on the top of the chili.
- Using a potato masher, mash the “chili” to shred the beef it should come apart with little effort.
- Add in your kidney beans and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Cook for another 4 hours and allow to set at warm until you are ready to eat. Serve with the sharp cheddar cheese, chopped green onions and sour cream as garnishes...the tortilla chips are a good addition too!
I used the 6 qt Hamilton beach programmable slow cooker: http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/programmable-slow-cookers-set–forget-6-qt-programmable-slow-cooker-33969.htm.
We loved this chili, and I hope you will too.
Next week…..we return to the smoker for marinaded smoked pork chops so check back!
See you next time.