Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken for Man Food Mondays
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 medium onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce. We used Williams Brothers. It's a local favorite.
- 1 cup dry rub. I used a coffee dry rub
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons coffee beans, fresh ground for 15 seconds
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coco powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 4 + cups water
- Thaw the chicken. You can thaw it in a salt brine in the refrigerator if you want to. I brine chicken so that it stays moist while cooking, this works no matter which cooking method you use.
- Put together your dry rub and Store it in a air tight container until you are ready to use it.
- After the chicken is thawed take it out of the brine and pat it dry, place it back in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to finish drying out.
- Cut up the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Dry rub the chicken and make sure you get some inside the cavity.
- Place the chicken on top of the onions and dust the top of the chicken with the garlic powder.
- Set your Slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours or set on high for 6 hours. Cook until the internal temp of the chicken is above 165°.
- Transfer the chicken to a large platter or bowl, remove the skin and separate the meat from the bones discard those . If you have an over abundance of chicken stock in the slow cooker remove at least 1/2 and discard it as well. Return the meat to the slow cooker.
- Add in the BBQ sauce of your choice a little at a time and mix in, try not to let it be too wet.
- Set on low and allow it to cook for another 30 minutes.
- Serve with or without buns.
Recipe by From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫ at https://www.fromcalculustocupcakes.com/slowcooker-bbq-chicken/