Smoked Cornish Hens for Man Food Mondays
- 4 cups white wine vinegar
- 3 cups orange juice
- 2 Tbsps. honey
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tsps. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground red pepper
- 4 Cornish hens
- 6 clove garlic
- 2 tsps. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 large orange
- 8 large basil leaves
- Stir together first six ingredients in a large pot or bowl.
- Submerge Cornish hens in mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove hens from marinade and blot dry with paper towels. Remove the onions from the marinate and reserve onions and marinade.
- Heat the smoker to 325 degrees. If using a water smoker, add marinade to the bowl.
- Mix together garlic, black pepper 3 Tbsps. kosher salt, and paprika. Rub over hens.
- Slice the orange and then halve the slices. Stuff hen cavities with orange slices and onions from the marinade.
- Place a basil leaf underneath each wing.
- Smoke for about two hours. At this point the wood should burn up, but continue to cook over hot coals for another two hours.
Recipe by From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫ at https://www.fromcalculustocupcakes.com/smoked-cornish-hens-for-man-food-mondays/