Smoked Orange Ginger Turkey for Man Food Mondays
- 1 gallon water +
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ginger, chopped
- 1 orange sliced
- 1/4 cup orange zest
- 1 qt OJ
- 1/2 quart apple juice
- 16ounces ginger ale
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon Ancho pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Boil 3 cups water.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped ginger, 1 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar. Stir to dissolve.
- Allow to cool. Add remaining water.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Submerge turkey add water to cover weight down with plate if necessary refrigerate 6 hours or over night.
- Remove from brine and discard mixture. Pat the turkey dry.
- Set in fridge to dry out 3 to 4 hours.
- Mix the rub.
- Loosen skin and put the rub on to the breast and as far down the legs as you can. Rub any remaining mixture on the skin and return to the refrigerator for 4 hours or until you are ready to cook
- Put on smoker with a temperature gauge inserted on the inside of the thigh.
- Turkey is done at 170° when measured at the thigh.
Recipe by From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫ at https://www.fromcalculustocupcakes.com/smoked-orange-ginger-turkey/