I have seen several recipes out there for strawberry crostini, but I have not seen one with melted brie under the berries. I just have this thing about melted brie and fruit and really wanted to try it. I am so glad I did because these were just delicious! With strawberries just coming into season, this makes a wonderful appetizer. And, it doesn’t hurt that they are pretty too!
You can make the balsamic berries up to an hour ahead of time, but be sure to toast and top the bread just before serving, so that the brie stays warm and the bread doesn’t get soggy. When I got it in my head to do make this, I Googled strawberry crostini and came up with this wonderful sounding recipe at Dishing Gourmet that I adapted mine from.
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1 7oz. round brie
- 1 french baguette
- Combine strawberries, vinegar, honey, and basil. Set aside for at least 20 minutes or up to one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice baguette into 1/4 inch slices (you will get about 18) and place slices on a baking sheet.
- Remove the rind from the brie and slice into pieces to place on baguette slices, leaving a little room around the edges for the brie to spread.
- Bake until brie is melted (about 5 minutes).
- Using a slotted spoon to drain, top baguette slices with strawberries.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from Dishing Gourmet.