I know what you are thinking. Didn’t she just post strawberry jam last week? Well, yes, kind of, and this is different. That was low sugar strawberry butter cooked long and slow. This has lots of sugar and is barely cooked. My husband’s grandsons were visiting last weekend, and we took them strawberry picking. Knowing those fresh picked strawberries just don’t last very long, I wanted something to make out of that the boys could help me with and this was just perfect. There is very little heat required, and you mash the berries up with a potato masher – perfect for children. And, it has the plus of making everything you put it on taste like strawberry shortcake.
I got the recipe right out of the Sure Jell package, and we put it in these cute little plastic jars Ball makes for freezer jam. It is super simple. Hope you enjoy!
Strawberry Freezer Jam
Yield 5 cups
- 2 pints strawberries, washed and hulled
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 box Sure Jell
- 3/4 cup water
- Coarsely chop strawberries, them mash them with a potato masher.
- Measure berries. You need 2 cups after they have been crushed.
- Stir sugar into berries. Let stand 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Place the Sure Jell and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute.
- Pour Sure Jell mixture over berries.
- Stir until all sugar is dissolved (about 3 minutes).
- Pour into freezer safe container.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Then refrigerate for up to 3 three weeks or freeze for up to 1 year.
Michelle, I’ve never tried freezer jam but love how easy it sounds and delicious it looks! Thanks so much for sharing this and definitely want to try it. Have a great Tuesday and am pinning!
This is such an easy recipe. Thank you for sharing.
Wishes for tasty dishes,