These strawberry shortbread sandwich cookies have a super strawberry flavor. They almost taste like jam. This is because the cookie dough itself has freeze dried strawberries that have been put through the food processor in it. Probably my only talent is to be able to accurately predict the flavor of a new recipe before I try it. Well, this did not taste at all like I was expecting. And, this time, that was a good thing – usually when I’m off, it is not. But, I was expecting more of ‘strawberry flavored’ flavor, if you know what I mean. But, these taste like real strawberries and seriously remind me of strawberry jam.
I was super excited making the cookies because I could already taste the flavor in the dough – yes, I eat cookie dough… Do you? And, the dough was this beautiful bright pinkish red color.
Unfortunately, baking them turned them brown. No, they are not burnt. They are just brown in color, you know… like most cookies, so I really shouldn’t have been disappointed, right? Well, it would have been especially nice if they had stayed red/pink. But, it didn’t harm the taste any at all, so I guess it is ok.
In case you don’t remember that they did actually turn out pretty with the icing in the middle, I thought I would remind you. See, pretty strawberry cookies.
The filling is a little soft, as you can see from the oozing from between the cookies, so if want a stiffer filling, you can add a bit more confectioners’ sugar. I can’t wait to make more recipe with freeze dried strawberries.
Strawberry Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1 oz. package freeze dried strawberries pureed in the food processor until powdered
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsps. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup strawberries, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line two large cookie sheets with parchment.
- Cream together butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add flour, strawberry powder, and salt and mix until well combined and the dough dough sticks together well.
- Roll onto a lightly floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut with cookie cutters and place on the prepared cookie sheets.
- You may have to lift the cookies with a spatula to place on the cookie sheet. Bake at for 15 to 20 minutes or until set. They will be brown. I baked mine one sheet at a time, but you could probably bake them on two racks and switch them half way through baking.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Beat on medium until well combined and fluffy.
- Spread filling on half of the cookies.
- Top with the other half.
- Serve immediately or store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for several days if you don’t eat them first. They are also better if you let them warm up for a few minutes before eating them.