These Super Food Dinner Bowls are as full of flavor as they are healthy goodness. We kind of go back and forth in our healthy versus not healthy eating around here. Well, that is not exactly true. We eat more healthy than unhealthy. Somehow it just seems that the unhealthy is more likely to make a blog appearance. Not that the healthy isn’t good, but a lot of times, it really isn’t a recipe. And, we tend to eat the same healthy meals over and over again, and I’m sure you don’t want to see a very slight variation of the same dish every week. I really need to work on dishes like this that take some of our usuals and combine them into a new dish with new flavors. This was just the perfect combination.
I will point out that even though all of the ingredients in this are pretty healthy, it is also pretty high in fat. It is mostly olive oil, but it is still fat. One of those places that the fat shows up is in the roasted sweet potatoes. They are super delicious roasted in olive oil with a sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, but if you are trying to limit your fat, you could bake them, peel them, and then cut them into bite sized pieces without any fat added to the sweet potato part at all. And, you could steam the kale and garlic. But, I like it best this way, so that is how I’m giving it to you – fat and all.
The dressing might just be the best part of these bowls. Maybe I should call it sauce since these are warm and really not salads, but it really is a dressing that would also be wonderful on a salad. You will want to eat this right by itself… seriously, just ask how I know.
Super Foods Dinner Bowls
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper for sprinkling
- 2 6 ounce salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon miso (I used red miso.)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- olive oil for brushing baking dish
- 1/2 pound kale, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons miso (I used red miso.)
- sliced scallions and black sesame seeds for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss sweet potato pieces in olive oil and sprinkle lightly with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place in a glass baking dish and bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Spray or brush the bottom of a glass baking dish with olive oil.
- Place salmon in dish.
- Stir together miso, ginger, vinegar, honey, sesame oil.
- Spread evenly over salmon fillets.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until fish flakes easily with a fork. I put mine in the oven with the sweet potatoes for the last 20 minutes they were baking.
- Saute kale and garlic with 1/2 cup water over medium heat in a large skillet until kale is wilted and water is evaporated. Add more water if needed.
- Stir together all ingredients until well combined.
Putting the bowls together
- Place sweet potatoes in the bottom of the bowls.
- Top with kale and salmon.
- Drizzle with dressing.
- Sprinkle with scallions and black sesame seeds.