So, it has kind of been a watermelon week around here. It all started when I went to buy one at the local fruit stand, and found out I could buy one for $5, but two for $8. So, having two watermelons on hand meant I had to come up with some things to do with them. The grocery store also had avocados on sale, so I decided to combine the two in this watermelon salad.
I recently had a cucumber and avocado salad that a friend made, and included some of the ingredients I thought were in that salad since for some reason cucumbers and watermelon always seem to remind me of one another. At any rate, this turned out really well. I am adding salt and pepper to taste to the recipe, but I will point out that I think it tastes better with a pretty generous amount of salt, but that may be just me.
- 6 cups watermelon, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3 avocados, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the watermelon in a large bowl.
- Place the lime juice in a smaller bowl and cut the avocado directly into it, tossing occasionally to coat, so that the avocado doesn't turn brown.
- Add the pour the avocado and juice over the watermelon.
- Add the mint, feta, and salt and pepper.
- Toss together gently until well combined. Really do be gentle here, so that you don't make sauce out of the avocado and cheese. You want them to remain chunky.
- Serve immediately.