This white chicken chili is one of the most perfect foods for this time of the year in my opinion. It hot, hearty, and satisfying, while being easy to make and reasonably healthy. It does have heavy cream in it, but that is the only added fat. I am one of those people who get too cold really easily, and just can’t seem to warm up, but chili is one thing that does warm me up, and sometimes you need a change from the red kind.
This is one of those recipes that require very little work. You dump it all in a pot and let it do its thing until you have to cut up the chicken and add the flour and cream – but by then you are almost done. I have not made it in the slow cooker, but I imagine it could be adapted fairly easily. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
White Chicken Chili
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 4.5 oz. can chopped green chilies
- 1 15.5 oz. can hominy rinsed and drained (I used white.)
- 2 15.5 oz. cans white beans, rinsed and drained (I used great northern beans.)
- 1 11 oz. can tomatillos, cored and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, sliced (I saved the green part from two of the scallions to top.)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
- 2 Tbsps. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- To serve: Top with shredded cheddar, sour cream, reserved scallions, and chopped cilantro if desired.
- Place chicken, broth, chilies, hominy, beans, tomatillos, garlic, scallions, oregano, and red pepper in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer until chicken is cooked through – about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pot and cut into bite sized chunks. Return to the pot.
- Stir together flour and water and stir into chili.
- Stir in cream.
- Turn heat back up to high and bring back to a boil. Cook until thickened stirring frequently, so that it doesn’t burn or stick.
- Season with salt to taste.
- To serve top with cheddar cheese, sour cream, reserved scallions and chopped cilantro if desired.