This is a Wilted Brussels Sprouts Salad that has been evolving in my mind for about five years. The first year Steve and I were married, we spent Thanksgiving with his family, and his brother-in-law was talking about having seen a recipe for fried shaved Brussels sprouts that he had considered making. I have had that idea in mind to turn into a salad ever since. Then recently Lindsey at Pinch of Yum posted this Bacon and Brussels Sprout Salad, which was close to what I was thinking, except not cooked, and this kind of pushed me along to actually make it. This recipe kind of merges my original thought with some of her additions. I really liked her idea of adding orange to the vinaigrette – though mine is a bit different. And, while the almonds sound delicious, I was experimenting around with this while my daughter was home from college, and she is allergic to tree nuts. Now my daughter is not a Brussels sprouts eater, but in the off-hand chance she wanted to try it, I didn’t want it to have nuts in it. The results were fabulous. I mean you really need to try this. My husband liked it so much that he finished it off before I could get to it.
Wilted Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- the zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Thinly slice Brussels sprouts into rounds from the top down.
- Separate any rounds that did not separate on their own into shreds with your fingers.
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel lined plates and crumble when cool.
- While bacon grease is still hot, add the Brussels sprouts shreds.
- Cook over medium, stirring frequently until shreds are wilted and edges are just beginning to brown. Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Remove Brussels sprouts to a medium bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Stir together juice, zest, honey, and salt.
- Pour over Brussels sprouts and toss to coat.
- Stir in bacon and Parmesan Cheese.