This Buffalo Chicken Tot Skillet Bake is a great quick weeknight meal – especially if you like buffalo chicken or tater tots. I made it last week when my daughter was on spring break on a night my husband wasn’t home for dinner. I knew my daughter would like it, and I have been trying to keep my husband’s meals healthy, so it was a great night to splurge a bit.
In this recipe, the tater tots are baked directly in the skillet, and then topped with something very similar to buffalo chicken dip. Then all is smothered in more cheese. To serve it, sprinkled it with green onions and cilantro, which really added to the taste and not just to the look. And then, I drizzled ranch dressing over it. I know blue cheese is more traditional with buffalo, but many people use ranch too, and I thought the potatoes would be better with ranch. The ranch dressing I use is made with this homemade mix from Robyn’s View. Hope you enjoy as much as we did!
Buffalo Chicken Tot Skillet Bake
Yield 4 - 6
- 1 bag tater tots
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (Leftovers are great for this.)
- 1 cup hot sauce (I used Frank's.) This is pretty hot, so feel free to use less.
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese
- 8 oz Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
- To serve: sliced green onions, chopped cilantro, and your favorite ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pour tater tots into a large (I used 10 inch.) iron skillet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, stir together chicken,cream cheese and hot sauce.
- Stir and heat over medium until cheese is melted and all is thoroughly combined.
- When tater tots are done, pour chicken mixture over them, trying to cover them evenly.
- Top with grated Monterey Jack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with green onions and cilantro.
- Serve with ranch dressing