I had really planned to make something that actually looked more like Christmas for Fill the Cookie Jar this month, but then I happened upon cinnamon chips at my local grocery store. Yes, I do realize they have been around for a while, but my rural grocery store has never had them before, so I was really excited to try them. If you are like me and think spice when you think of Christmas baking, you will think these taste just like Christmas even if they look like regular cookies. I wanted a cookie where I could really taste the cinnamon chips and get a feel for baking with them, since it was my first time, but I didn’t want just a plain cookie, so I browned the butter before making the dough. This really added another layer of flavor to make these just wonderful!
Brown Butter Cinnamon Chip Cookies for #fillthecookiejar
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsps. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsps. salt
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 10 oz. bag cinnamon chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two large cookie sheets with parchment.
- In a large saucepan, cook butter over medium heat until browned. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
- Cream together egg, egg yolk and sugar with an electric mixer.
- While the mixer is running, slowly pour in browned butter.
- Add vanilla, salt and baking soda and mix for one minute.
- Add flour and mix until well combined.
- Fold in cinnamon chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop by rounded scoops onto prepared cookie sheets. Flatten each scoop slightly with a fork
- Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and almost set. I bake mine one sheet at a time.