Happy Easter! I know many of you will be eating ham tomorrow, and that means there is going to be quite a bit of leftover ham around. And, these Chipotle Ham Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are just the perfect way to use that leftover ham. Honestly though, I bought ham just for these because they are definitely good enough to warrant ham on their own.
I really prefer less traditional sweet potato recipes. Don’t get me wrong, cinnamon and sugar on sweet potatoes is good too, but I really think savory is better.
This recipe is for one sweet potato, which serves two – you know, one half for each person. But, you can make as many as you want.
Chipotle Ham Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato baked until tender
- 1/4 cup ham, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, plus more for topping
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the sweet potato in half length wise.
- Scrape the flesh out of the sweet potato into a bowl, you need to leave a little inside the skin, so that it holds its shape.
- Mash the sweet potato flesh and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Stuff the mixture back into the sweet potato skins and sprinkle with a little extra cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake until hot an melty. The time is going be determined by the size and temperature of the mixture when it goes into the oven. Mine only took about ten minutes, but the potatoes were still warm from baking.
- Top with additional cilantro and serve.